Re: data dump help - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andy Colson
Subject Re: data dump help
Date
List pgsql-general
On 1/18/2010 4:08 PM, Terry wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Sorry for the poor subject.  Not sure how to describe what I need
> here.  I have an application that logs to a single table in pgsql.
> In order for me to get into our log management, I need to dump it out
> to a file on a periodic basis to get new logs.  I am not sure how to
> tackle this.  I thought about doing a date calculation and just
> grabbing the previous 6 hours of logs and writing that to a new log
> file and setting up a rotation like that.  Unfortunately, the log
> management solution can't go into pgsql directly.  Thoughts?
>
> Thanks!

How about a flag in the db, like: dumped.

inside one transactions you'd be safe doing:

begin
SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL REPEATABLE READ;
select * from log where dumped = 0;
-- app code to format/write/etc
update log set dumped = 1 where dumped = 0;
commit;

Even if other transactions insert new records, you're existing
transaction wont see them, and the update wont touch them.

-Andy