Re: type of field - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jean-Yves F. Barbier
Subject Re: type of field
Date
List pgsql-general
Greg Stark a écrit :
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 8:24 PM, Jean-Yves F. Barbier <12ukwn@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've got to store many small videos; to make things simple (backup/restore,
>> because users don't know very much about IT) I've choosen BYTEA + EXTERNAL,
>> is it the right choice?
>
> If you want to store them in the database then yes, that sounds right to me.
>
> The debate over whether to store things like this in the database or
> outside won't be resolved on this thread but you should be aware of
> the pros and cons of each method. It sounds like you've done some
> research already.

Yeah, you're right: dunno wanna feed the Troll :)

I choosed this solution because people are only users, they can't afford
a full time admin & they can't loose many time in complicated procedures,
so the backup/restore procedure must stay as simple as possible on big tapes.

BTW, for my own knowledge, could you point me to pages that describes
out-of-db big blobs (>5GB) link/unlink & store/wipe to/from DB?

Thanks.
--
"Benson, you are so free of the ravages of intelligence"
        -- Time Bandits