Re: PostgreSQL installation under Win XP embeded - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: PostgreSQL installation under Win XP embeded
Date
List pgsql-general
ioguix@free.fr wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I would like to have some feedback about installing PostgreSQL 8.4
> under Windows XP embeded.
> Unfortunatly (or fortunatly actualy ;)), I have no XPe to test myself.
>
> Where are the traps ?
>
> Does the EDB installer works well ?
>
> I found on the list some bugs related to 8.0 and "run as..." command
> or to create the PostgreSQL service, is it still hapening with the 8.4
> installer ?

you normally don't "install" software on XP Embedded, rather, you build
it in.   you would turn Postgres into an Windows Embedded package and
add this package to your XPE Builder manifest, or something like that (I
built some Windows Embedded systems for a test about a year ago, I've
forgotten the exact terminology).

Every feature of Windows Embedded is optional, including user logins.
A typical Windows Embeeded system will simply start up in the target
application rather than a gui shell, although it can be configured to
have users and logins.

I believe the Windows Embedded kit is available for a time limited eval
for free, at least it was last year.   Its no longer called XP Embeeded,
although its still based on an XP kernel.