Re: explain output infelicity in psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: explain output infelicity in psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>> I don't see much virtue of having these characters when there is only
>> one column.
>>

> So you can tell a newline in the data from a wrap due to line length.
> The need to be able to do that is not dependent on how many columns
> there are.

If that's really what we want then I think we're doing a terrible job of
it. Have a look at the output of:
   select   E'xxxxxxx\nxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\nxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'   as
a,1 as b;

How do we know from that where the linefeeds are, exactly?

cheers

andrew