Re: explain output infelicity in psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: explain output infelicity in psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> So you can tell a newline in the data from a wrap due to line length.
>> The need to be able to do that is not dependent on how many columns
>> there are.

> If that's really what we want then I think we're doing a terrible job of
> it. Have a look at the output of:

>     select
>     E'xxxxxxx\nxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\nxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
>     as a, 1 as b;

> How do we know from that where the linefeeds are, exactly?

It works quite nicely for me ... in HEAD that is:

regression=# select
E'xxxxxxx\nxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\nxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'  as a, 1 as b;
                   a                           | b

1xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                 +| xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx |

(1 row)

regression=#

The point here is exactly that previous versions didn't show the
distinction well.