Re: explain output infelicity in psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: explain output infelicity in psql
Date
Re: explain output infelicity in psql  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> regression=# select
E'xxxxxxx\nxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\nxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
>     as a, 1 as b;
>                           a                           | b
> ------------------------------------------------------+---
>  xxxxxxx                                             +| 1
>  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                  +|
>  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx |
> (1 row)
>
> regression=#
>
> The point here is exactly that previous versions didn't show the
> distinction well.

If we really want to make linefeeds visible, I think we should place the
indicators immediately after the character preceding the line feed, not
next to the column separator.

cheers

andrew