Re: explain output infelicity in psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: explain output infelicity in psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I don't see much virtue of having these characters when there is only
> one column.

So you can tell a newline in the data from a wrap due to line length.
The need to be able to do that is not dependent on how many columns
there are.

> And clearly I'm not the only person who doesn't like this behaviour.

It's just our usual negative reaction to any change whatsoever ;-).
I was unimpressed with Leigh's changes too at the start, but I can see
that there is value in it.

I think that changing the behavior depending on how many columns there
are is an incredibly ugly hack, and your assertions to the contrary
aren't going to change my mind.  If we think that this is such a bad
idea it should be reverted, then let's revert it altogether.

Another possibility, which I don't understand why it was dismissed so
cavalierly, is to have EXPLAIN put out one row per logical line instead
of using embedded newlines.