Re: We should Axe /contrib/start-scripts - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: We should Axe /contrib/start-scripts
Date
Re: We should Axe /contrib/start-scripts  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> In general I'd not recommend that an init script go messing with the
> contents of the postmaster.pid file, which it would have to do to
> have any of this logic in the script.
But LSB specifically provides the pidofproc function to extract the
pid info.
http://refspecs.freestandards.org/LSB_3.1.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-generic/iniscrptfunc.html
This brings me back round to what I was looking at recently -- the
possibility of trying to make an LSB-conforming init script for
PostgreSQL.  I'm having a lot of trouble, though, trying to get either
the postmaster or pg_ctl to behave well with the start_daemon function
implementations available to me.  Is there a fundamental mismatch
there, or am I probably just missing some crucial detail?  (The
killproc function seems to work just fine, however, as long as I use
the -p switch and give it the right signal.)
And there's the usual question: is there interest in such a script?
-Kevin