Re: We should Axe /contrib/start-scripts - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: We should Axe /contrib/start-scripts
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> How would you get the latter in a portable fashion?  (Do not mention
>> ps please ... and I don't want to hear about lsof either ...)
> You wouldn't object to using either of those in a Linux service
> script, though, would you?

No, certainly not, but I was thinking in terms of something that we
could put into the postmaster.  In general I'd not recommend that an
init script go messing with the contents of the postmaster.pid file,
which it would have to do to have any of this logic in the script.