Re: We should Axe /contrib/start-scripts - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: We should Axe /contrib/start-scripts
Date
Re: We should Axe /contrib/start-scripts  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> writes:
>> Still, this seems like it's not as deterministic as it should be.
>> Is there any reasonable way to pin it down beyond the PID?  Like
>> also saving a start time into the postmaster.pid file and checking
>> that it maches the start time of the PID found?
>
> How would you get the latter in a portable fashion?  (Do not mention
> ps please ... and I don't want to hear about lsof either ...)
Unfortunately I don't know enough about the relevant API to begin to
answer that.  (I barely managed to frame the question....)
You wouldn't object to using either of those in a Linux service
script, though, would you?
-Kevin