Re: We should Axe /contrib/start-scripts - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: We should Axe /contrib/start-scripts
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> This brings me back round to what I was looking at recently -- the
> possibility of trying to make an LSB-conforming init script for
> PostgreSQL.  I'm having a lot of trouble, though, trying to get either
> the postmaster or pg_ctl to behave well with the start_daemon function
> implementations available to me.  Is there a fundamental mismatch
> there, or am I probably just missing some crucial detail?

start_daemon doesn't provide for switching to a non-root userid
according to that spec, so it seems like *it's* missing a crucial
detail.  The functions seem woefully underspecified anyway, eg
it's unclear if killproc is supposed to wait to see whether the
daemon terminates.