Re: Make check fails on 8.3.7 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christine Desmuke
Subject Re: Make check fails on 8.3.7
Date
Re: Make check fails on 8.3.7
List pgsql-general
Alban Hertroys wrote:
> On 7 Aug 2009, at 4:02, Christine Desmuke wrote:
>
>>> If so, isn't it just the output of stderr getting lost here? What
>>> shell are you using?
>>
>> Yes, it looks like stderr is lost. I'm running bash, and there is
>> nothing odd in .bash_profile
>
>> Any ideas?
>

> I have to admit I'm running out, this seems to be a rather odd problem.
> Maybe someone who knows CentOS (or Linux in general) has some ideas
> what's going on here.
> Let's see if we can find any trace of where things are going wrong...
>
> Is there anything about why the regression tests failed in the system logs?

No, nothing.

> Were you redirecting the script output somewhere?

No, I was running make check, which does redirect the output to a series
of files, and then diffs those against the expected output.

> Does your stderr work? If you purposely cause an error, do you get an
> error message? Can you write it to a file?

[postgres@zu ~]$ less bangu
bangu: No such file or directory
[postgres@zu ~]$ less bangu 2>zztmp
[postgres@zu ~]$ cat zztmp
bangu: No such file or directory
[postgres@zu ~]$

but

[postgres@zu ~]$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql -U nobody
psql: [postgres@zu ~]$

[That is, the expected error from psql about the nonexistent user is
swallowed.]

> What are you running your shell from, the console or some kind of X- or
> otherwise virtual console (screen for example)? If the latter, can you
> try the regression tests from the console?

Normally I run from an ssh session, but I tried this from the console as
well, with the same results.

> If that still doesn't show anything it's probably a good idea to run the
> regression tests through trace, but that's probably going to create a
> LOT of output to wade through. It should point you to the culprit though.

I'm going to try this over the weekend and see what I get.

--

Christine Desmuke
Kansas State Historical Society