Re: .psql_history": No such file - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Shane Ambler
Subject Re: .psql_history": No such file
Date
List pgsql-sql
Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> Hi Ivan,
>
> Le vendredi 26 juin 2009 à 17:53:15, ivan marchesini a écrit :
>> [...]
>> I have installed a postgres db using a datadir different
>> from /var/lib/pgsql/.psql_history.
>>
>> then:
>>    su postgres
>>    psql postgres
>>
>> All went fine but when I exit from psql from a db I obtain:
>> _______
>> could not save history to file "/var/lib/pgsql/.psql_history": No such
>> file or directory
>> _______
>>
>> how can I fix this problem? where can I say psql that it must
>> write .psql_history into the datadir?
>>

> psql tries to write there because the home directory of the postgres user is
> /var/lib/postgres. Probably better to use HISTFILE to change it (\set HISTFILE
> '/path/to/histfile').
>
> Regards.

You do know that you don't need to su postgres to start psql?

Only the server needs to be run with the postgres user account. If you
run psql from your normal user account the history file will be saved
into your home folder not the postgresql install/data file dir.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz