Re: [pgsql-sql] Daily digest v1.3050 (5 messages) - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Science
Subject Re: [pgsql-sql] Daily digest v1.3050 (5 messages)
Date
List pgsql-sql
pgsql-sql-owner@postgresql.org wrote:
> Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 17:13:42 +0100
> From: "Oliveiros Cristina" <oliveiros.cristina@marktest.pt>
> To: "Rob Sargent" <robjsargent@gmail.com>,
>     <pgsql-sql@postgresql.org>
> Subject: Re: Bucketing Row Data in columns
>
> I admit that must be a more elegant and faster solution with pl/psql (or
> whatever other languages)
>
> As I don't know nothing about pl/psql I tried with pure sql (if you don't
> have a hunting dog, hunt with a cat)
>
> But obviously this solution doesn't scale well if you have a giant table
> with lots of columns

Is it possible that using the "tablefunc" contrib module would help.
What I mean is, couldn't this be written as a performant query that
returns a set of rows and then use the crosstab capability to simply
rewrite that rows as columns?

As another poster pointed out you can do the same with a set of CASE
statements, but I wanted to throw this idea out there as well. I'm not
too familiar with the the tablefunc / crosstab stuff, but it seems like
this is generally what you're trying to accomplish?

I googled this fwiw:
http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1444284&page=1

Best,

Steve