Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> [moving this onto -hackers, where I think it belongs]
>
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Huh?  The buildfarm will only prove that HEAD of the active branches
>> builds.  What the concern was was whether we could correctly extract
>> past states (particularly, but not solely, the tags corresponding to
>> releases) from a converted git repository.  The testing I had in mind
>> was to check out various tags and diff that tree against actual release
>> tarballs.
>>

> It appears that our git repo is only picking up the branch tags (e.g.
> REL8_0_STABLE) , not all the release tags (e.g. REL8_0_5) . That needs
> to be fixed (if possible).

Hmm. I looked through the source of the import script. It appears to
mention tags here and there, but doesn't seem to do it. There is a
comment that reads:
     # Previous CVS versions just added the tag to the current HEAD     # revision and didn't insert a dead revision on
thebranch with     # the same date, like it is happening now.     # This means history is unclear as we can't reliably
determine    # if the tagging happened at the same time as the addition to     # the branch.  For now, just assume it
did.    #     # XXX can't reproduce for now, disabling, as it breaks some     # things     #

Basically, it comes down to cvs tags not being actual first class
happening, but just metadata on files.

I'm sure we could script the creation of these tags fairly reliably on
*our* repository since we know which files are always updated when a tag
is added. I'm thinking we could just parse the log for configure.in and
grab the tags from there. Thoughts?

-- Magnus HaganderSelf: http://www.hagander.net/Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/