Breaking national language support in Solaris 8 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Breaking national language support in Solaris 8
Date
List pgsql-general
There is a proposal being discussed on the hackers list about adding
gettext plural support to the national language support (NLS) feature
(--enable-nls) in the upcoming PostgreSQL 8.4.  This would mean that
plurals of translated messages (e.g., in psql: 1 row/n rows) will work
properly in languages that don't have plural rules similar to English.

This will, however, only work with GNU Gettext (as used in Linux and BSD
distributions) and Solaris 9 or later, and it is not easy to provide a
backward compatible mode.  So we would probably break NLS in Solaris 8
or earlier.  Workarounds would be building PostgreSQL 8.4 without NLS or
building with GNU Gettext instead of the one built into Solaris.

If any user of such older Solaris systems or perhaps other systems with
similar issues that we have not considered thinks this would be a
terrible idea, please speak up now.

The thread on the hackers list can also be followed here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/87y6v3gpa8.fsf@seb.progtech.ru