Re: gettext, plural form and translation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: gettext, plural form and translation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
>> Sergey Burladyan escribió:
>>> maybe build farm can help to test it ?
>
>> Yes, I think we should implement it and see what happens with the
>> buildfarm.  If we stand still and do nothing, we won't be any wiser.
>
> The buildfarm is irrelevant to the fact that some platforms don't
> have ngettext.
>
> If the patch is designed to use ngettext where available, and to be no
> worse than what we have where it isn't, then we could consider it.

It depends also on what we *want* to target.  I originally omitted the
plural support because it was a GNU extension, and I wanted to support
"standard" gettext implementations as well.  (There was also a licensing
consideration.)  Solaris is the "original" implementation of this API,
so it can serve as a reference point.

But it is open to debate whether that decision is more useful than the
tradeoff it imposes.

What I read now, however, is that Solaris 9 introduced the
GNU-compatible ngettext extension, which changes the above argument
considerably.

Given the current information available to me, I would also be satisfied
to require ngettext() and reject NLS support on platforms that don't
provide it.