Re: gettext, plural form and translation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Aidan Van Dyk
Subject Re: gettext, plural form and translation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> [090319 04:21]:

> It depends also on what we *want* to target.  I originally omitted the
> plural support because it was a GNU extension, and I wanted to support
> "standard" gettext implementations as well.  (There was also a licensing
> consideration.)  Solaris is the "original" implementation of this API,
> so it can serve as a reference point.
>
> But it is open to debate whether that decision is more useful than the
> tradeoff it imposes.

Of course, ngettext can easily be "ported", at it's most basic level
(equivalent to GNU's C locale implentation) it's:
#ifdef NEED_NGETTEXT#define ngettext(s,p,n)    gettext((n)==1?(s):(p))#endif

Or a real port function:const char* ngettext (const char*s, const char*p, int n){    return gettext(n == 1 ? s : p);}

a.

aidan@highrise.ca                                       command like a king,