Re: postgreSQL & amazon ec2 cloud - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: postgreSQL & amazon ec2 cloud
Date
List pgsql-general
Sanjay Arora wrote:
> Hello all
>
> Is it possible to host postgreSQL on Amazon's cloud? What are the
> issues involved?

in theory, sure.   anything is possible.

in practice, as I understand it from my relatively superficial reading,
fast storage is fairly expensive and limited in the EC2 compute cloud,
and also not real persistent (if the cloud node goes down, so does its
directly attached storage).. and the bulk S3 storage is high latency and
not really suitable for relational database use.

the most effective use of the S3 and EC2 cloud I've read of is where the
S3 storage is used for bulk persistent storage of backups of things like
large photo libraries,, and the EC2 cloud is used for relatively atomic
computational operations, such as batch scaling multiple image sizes
from large volumes of digital photos.