Re: php4 and postgresql 8.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: php4 and postgresql 8.3
Date
List pgsql-general
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 8:44 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
>
>> (or maybe its -u, I forget) should take care of the php part.   this will,
>> however, try and load the RHEL 3.x libpq.so, which was built for
>> rh_postgresql 7.3.3, a very very ancient version of postgresql, and its very
>> unclear if this will interoperate correctly with Postgres 8.3.  At one time,
>>

> It will.  pg 8.x can talk as far back as something like 6.3.  6.2 was
> abandoned a couple years back I believe.

so, then the question becomes one of whether or not the
rh-postgresql-libs RPM will conflict with whatever customer 8.3 build
shad k. is using...   hopefully, the 8.3 build has its libraries in a
private location like /opt/pgsql83/lib or /usr/local/pgsql/lib rather
than the RH default location of /usr/lib ...    the php-pgsql module is
likely going to load the /usr/lib/libpq.so 7.3 library and try to
connect with the 8.3 server.