Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom,

> You *think* you don't want to see system objects.  The first time that
> you waste hours trying to figure out why your function doesn't work,
> only to find that it conflicts with a system function that \df wasn't
> showing you, you'll reconsider.

I'm still a consultant for a living, so I use the psql command line on a
variety of client systems a lot.  And I'll tell you that 80% of the time
I use \df it's to look up the exact spelling and parameters of a
user-defined function, not a builtin.  The builtins are well-documented
in the PostgreSQL docs; why would I use \df to look them up?

In other words, no, I can't tell you that this patch is well-implemented
(and for that matter I don't like the syntax of \dfS), but I can say
that the *current* behavior is annoying and time-wasting, and always has
been.  It's also inconsistent with the behavior of \dt.

So I'm not arguing for this patch ... I'd reject it on messy syntax
grounds, and because I think a general \system switch is cleaner ... but
I am arguing against rejecting the idea that we want the default
behavior to show user-defined functions.

--Josh