Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>> The real problem here is that the 'S' suffix for \dt is a bad precedent
>> for everything else.  If you want consistency then we need to change
>> that end of things.  I think that the idea of a switch to omit system
>> objects, rather than include them, might work.
>
> I disagree.  Most users, most of the time, do not want to see system
> objects.  So all of the \d commands should omit system objects by default,
> and we should have one consistent switch across all \d commands to include
> system objects.
>
> Actually, I personally would prefer a *general* switch, that is:
>
> \system on
> \system off
>
> ... which would turn on and off the display of system objects with all \d
> commands, over extending \d with an array of Hungarian notation suffixes.

I think the general switch is a good idea, because then everyone can
get the behavior they want using ~/.psqlrc.

But I still want the Hungarian suffixes because being able to get a
different behavior just once is handy.

...Robert