Re: Visibility map and freezing - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Visibility map and freezing
Date
Re: Visibility map and freezing  (Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Jeff Davis wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 13:49 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> If the distinction you're making is that autovacuum_freeze_max_age
> affects the launching of a vacuum rather than the behavior of a vacuum,
> maybe we could incorporate the word "launch" like:
>
> autovacuum_launch_freeze_threshold

Hmm, I think I'd like it in the form autovacuum_freeze_launch_threshold
more.

>> I'm now leaning towards:
>>
>> autovacuum_freeze_max_age
>> vacuum_freeze_table_age
>> vacuum_freeze_min_age
>>
>> where autovacuum_freeze_max_age and vacuum_freeze_min_age are unchanged,
>> and vacuum_freeze_table_age is the new setting that controls when VACUUM
>> or autovacuum should perform a full scan of the table to advance
>> relfrozenxid.
>
> I'm still bothered by the fact that "max" and "min" really mean the same
> thing here.

Yeah. Those are existing names, though, and I don't recall any
complaints from users.

> I don't think we can perfectly capture the meaning of these GUCs in the
> name. I think our goal should be to avoid confusion between them.

Agreed.

Well, for better or worse here's a patch leaving the existing setting
names alone, and the new GUC is called "vacuum_freeze_table_age". I'm
not opposed to changing the names of the existing GUCs. If we do change
them, the columns in pg_autovacuum need to be changed too.

There's documentation changes included to descríbe the new GUC, and the
new behavior of VACUUM with visibility map in general. Is it readable,
and is it enough?

Alvaro, are you getting rid of pg_autovacuum in favor of the reloptions
for 8.4? This patch adds a new column to pg_autovacuum, reflecting the
new vacuum_freeze_table_age GUC just like freeze_min_age column reflects
vacuum_freeze_min_age. If I commit this tomorrow, will I cause you a lot
of trouble with the reloptions patch?

--
   Heikki Linnakangas
*** doc/src/sgml/catalogs.sgml
--- doc/src/sgml/catalogs.sgml
***************
*** 1361,1366 ****
--- 1361,1373 ----
        <entry></entry>
        <entry>Custom <varname>autovacuum_freeze_max_age</> parameter</entry>
       </row>
+
+      <row>
+       <entry><structfield>freeze_table_age</structfield></entry>
+       <entry></entry>
+       <entry>Custom <varname>vacuum_freeze_table_age</> parameter</entry>
+      </row>
      </tbody>
     </tgroup>
*** doc/src/sgml/config.sgml
--- doc/src/sgml/config.sgml
***************
*** 3950,3955 **** COPY postgres_log FROM '/full/path/to/logfile.csv' WITH csv;
--- 3950,3975 ----
        </listitem>
       </varlistentry>

+      <varlistentry id="guc-vacuum-freeze-max-age" xreflabel="vacuum_freeze_max_age">
+       <indexterm>
+        <primary><varname>vacuum_freeze_max_age</> configuration parameter</primary>
+       </indexterm>
+       <listitem>
+        <para>
+         <command>VACUUM</> performs a whole-table scan if the table's
+         <structname>pg_class</>.<structfield>relfrozenxid</> field reaches the
+         age specified by this setting.  The default is 150 million
+         transactions.  Although users can set this value anywhere from zero to
+         one billion, <command>VACUUM</> will silently limit the effective value
+         to the value of <xref linkend="guc-autovacuum-freeze-max-age"> minus
+         1 million transactions, so that regular manual <command>VACUUM</> has a
+         chance to run before autovacuum is launched to prevent XID wraparound.
+         For more information see <xref linkend="vacuum-for-wraparound">.
+        </para>
+       </listitem>
+      </varlistentry>
+
       <varlistentry id="guc-vacuum-freeze-min-age" xreflabel="vacuum_freeze_min_age">
        <indexterm>
***************
*** 3960,3966 **** COPY postgres_log FROM '/full/path/to/logfile.csv' WITH csv;
          Specifies the cutoff age (in transactions) that <command>VACUUM</>
          should use to decide whether to replace transaction IDs with
          <literal>FrozenXID</> while scanning a table.
!         The default is 100 million transactions.  Although
          users can set this value anywhere from zero to one billion,
          <command>VACUUM</> will silently limit the effective value to half
          the value of <xref linkend="guc-autovacuum-freeze-max-age">, so
--- 3980,3986 ----
          Specifies the cutoff age (in transactions) that <command>VACUUM</>
          should use to decide whether to replace transaction IDs with
          <literal>FrozenXID</> while scanning a table.
!         The default is 50 million transactions.  Although
          users can set this value anywhere from zero to one billion,
          <command>VACUUM</> will silently limit the effective value to half
          the value of <xref linkend="guc-autovacuum-freeze-max-age">, so
***************
*** 3971,3976 **** COPY postgres_log FROM '/full/path/to/logfile.csv' WITH csv;
--- 3991,4017 ----
        </listitem>
       </varlistentry>

+      <varlistentry id="guc-vacuum-freeze-table-age" xreflabel="vacuum_freeze_table_age">
+       <indexterm>
+        <primary><varname>vacuum_freeze_table_age</> configuration parameter</primary>
+       </indexterm>
+       <listitem>
+        <para>
+         Specifies the cutoff age (in transactions) that <command>VACUUM</>
+         should use to decide whether to replace scan the whole table,
+         to freeze old tuples and advance <structname>pg_class</>.<structfield>relfrozenxid</>.
+         The default is 150 million transactions.  Although
+         users can set this value anywhere from zero to two billion,
+         <command>VACUUM</> will silently limit the effective value to 95%
+         of the value of <xref linkend="guc-autovacuum-freeze-max-age">, so
+         that a regularly run manual <command>VACUUM</> has a chance to do
+         a whole table scan before an anti-wraparound autovacuum is launched.
+         For more information see <xref linkend="vacuum-for-wraparound">.
+        </para>
+       </listitem>
+      </varlistentry>
+
       <varlistentry id="guc-xmlbinary" xreflabel="xmlbinary">
        <indexterm>
*** doc/src/sgml/maintenance.sgml
--- doc/src/sgml/maintenance.sgml
***************
*** 367,376 ****
     </para>

     <para>
!     <command>VACUUM</>'s behavior is controlled by the configuration parameter
!     <xref linkend="guc-vacuum-freeze-min-age">: any XID older than
!     <varname>vacuum_freeze_min_age</> transactions is replaced by
!     <literal>FrozenXID</>.  Larger values of <varname>vacuum_freeze_min_age</>
      preserve transactional information longer, while smaller values increase
      the number of transactions that can elapse before the table must be
      vacuumed again.
--- 367,380 ----
     </para>

     <para>
!     <command>VACUUM</>'s behavior is controlled by the two configuration
!     parameters: <xref linkend="guc-vacuum-freeze-min-age"> and
!     <xref linkend="guc-vacuum-freeze-table-age">.
!     <varname>vacuum_freeze_table_age</> controls when <command>VACUUM</>
!     performs a full sweep of the table, in order to replace old XID values
!     with <literal>FrozenXID</>.  <varname>vacuum_freeze_min_age</>
!     controls how old an XID value has to be before it's replaced with
!     <literal>FrozenXID</>.  Larger values of these settings
      preserve transactional information longer, while smaller values increase
      the number of transactions that can elapse before the table must be
      vacuumed again.
***************
*** 379,385 ****
     <para>
      The maximum time that a table can go unvacuumed is two billion
      transactions minus the <varname>vacuum_freeze_min_age</> that was used
!     when it was last vacuumed.  If it were to go unvacuumed for longer than
      that, data loss could result.  To ensure that this does not happen,
      autovacuum is invoked on any table that might contain XIDs older than the
      age specified by the configuration parameter <xref
--- 383,390 ----
     <para>
      The maximum time that a table can go unvacuumed is two billion
      transactions minus the <varname>vacuum_freeze_min_age</> that was used
!     when <command>VACUUM</> last scanned the whole table.  If it were to go
!     unvacuumed for longer than
      that, data loss could result.  To ensure that this does not happen,
      autovacuum is invoked on any table that might contain XIDs older than the
      age specified by the configuration parameter <xref
***************
*** 403,409 ****
     </para>

     <para>
!     The sole disadvantage of increasing <varname>autovacuum_freeze_max_age</>
      is that the <filename>pg_clog</> subdirectory of the database cluster
      will take more space, because it must store the commit status for all
      transactions back to the <varname>autovacuum_freeze_max_age</> horizon.
--- 408,415 ----
     </para>

     <para>
!     The sole disadvantage of increasing <varname>vacuum_freeze_table_age</>
!     and <varname>autovacuum_freeze_max_age</>
      is that the <filename>pg_clog</> subdirectory of the database cluster
      will take more space, because it must store the commit status for all
      transactions back to the <varname>autovacuum_freeze_max_age</> horizon.
***************
*** 411,418 ****
      <varname>autovacuum_freeze_max_age</> has its maximum allowed value of
      a little less than two billion, <filename>pg_clog</> can be expected to
      grow to about half a gigabyte.  If this is trivial compared to your
!     total database size, setting <varname>autovacuum_freeze_max_age</> to
!     its maximum allowed value is recommended.  Otherwise, set it depending
      on what you are willing to allow for <filename>pg_clog</> storage.
      (The default, 200 million transactions, translates to about 50MB of
      <filename>pg_clog</> storage.)
--- 417,425 ----
      <varname>autovacuum_freeze_max_age</> has its maximum allowed value of
      a little less than two billion, <filename>pg_clog</> can be expected to
      grow to about half a gigabyte.  If this is trivial compared to your
!     total database size, setting <varname>autovacuum_freeze_max_age</> and
!     <varname>vacuum_freeze_table_age</varname> to their maximum allowed values
!     is recommended.  Otherwise, set them depending
      on what you are willing to allow for <filename>pg_clog</> storage.
      (The default, 200 million transactions, translates to about 50MB of
      <filename>pg_clog</> storage.)
***************
*** 455,467 **** SELECT datname, age(datfrozenxid) FROM pg_database;
  </programlisting>

      The <literal>age</> column measures the number of transactions from the
!     cutoff XID to the current transaction's XID.  Immediately after a
!     <command>VACUUM</>, <literal>age(relfrozenxid)</> should be a little
!     more than the <varname>vacuum_freeze_min_age</> setting that was used
!     (more by the number of transactions started since the <command>VACUUM</>
!     started).  If <literal>age(relfrozenxid)</> exceeds
!     <varname>autovacuum_freeze_max_age</>, an autovacuum will soon be forced
!     for the table.
     </para>

     <para>
--- 462,485 ----
  </programlisting>

      The <literal>age</> column measures the number of transactions from the
!     cutoff XID to the current transaction's XID.  When <command>VACUUM</>
!     scans the whole table, after it's finished <literal>age(relfrozenxid)</>
!     should be a little more than the <varname>vacuum_freeze_min_age</> setting
!     that was used (more by the number of transactions started since the
!     <command>VACUUM</> started).
!    </para>
!
!    <para>
!     <command>VACUUM</> normally only scans pages that have been modified
!     since last vacuum, but <structfield>relfrozenxid</> can only be advanced
!     when the whole table is scanned. The whole table is scanned when
!     <structfield>relfrozenxid</> is more than
!     <varname>vacuum_freeze_table_age</> transactions old, if
!     <command>VACUUM FREEZE</> command is used, or if all pages happen to
!     require vacuuming to remove dead row versions. If no whole-table-scanning
!     <command>VACUUM</> is issued on the table until
!     <varname>autovacuum_freeze_max_age</> is reached, an autovacuum will soon
!     be forced for the table.
     </para>

     <para>
*** src/backend/commands/cluster.c
--- src/backend/commands/cluster.c
***************
*** 789,796 **** copy_heap_data(Oid OIDNewHeap, Oid OIDOldHeap, Oid OIDOldIndex)
       * freeze_min_age to avoid having CLUSTER freeze tuples earlier than a
       * plain VACUUM would.
       */
!     vacuum_set_xid_limits(-1, OldHeap->rd_rel->relisshared,
!                           &OldestXmin, &FreezeXid);

      /*
       * FreezeXid will become the table's new relfrozenxid, and that mustn't
--- 789,796 ----
       * freeze_min_age to avoid having CLUSTER freeze tuples earlier than a
       * plain VACUUM would.
       */
!     vacuum_set_xid_limits(-1, -1, OldHeap->rd_rel->relisshared,
!                           &OldestXmin, &FreezeXid, NULL);

      /*
       * FreezeXid will become the table's new relfrozenxid, and that mustn't
*** src/backend/commands/vacuum.c
--- src/backend/commands/vacuum.c
***************
*** 62,67 ****
--- 62,68 ----
   * GUC parameters
   */
  int            vacuum_freeze_min_age;
+ int            vacuum_freeze_table_age;

  /*
   * VacPage structures keep track of each page on which we find useful
***************
*** 590,598 **** get_rel_oids(Oid relid, const RangeVar *vacrel, const char *stmttype)
   * vacuum_set_xid_limits() -- compute oldest-Xmin and freeze cutoff points
   */
  void
! vacuum_set_xid_limits(int freeze_min_age, bool sharedRel,
                        TransactionId *oldestXmin,
!                       TransactionId *freezeLimit)
  {
      int            freezemin;
      TransactionId limit;
--- 591,602 ----
   * vacuum_set_xid_limits() -- compute oldest-Xmin and freeze cutoff points
   */
  void
! vacuum_set_xid_limits(int freeze_min_age,
!                       int freeze_table_age,
!                       bool sharedRel,
                        TransactionId *oldestXmin,
!                       TransactionId *freezeLimit,
!                       TransactionId *freezeTableLimit)
  {
      int            freezemin;
      TransactionId limit;
***************
*** 648,653 **** vacuum_set_xid_limits(int freeze_min_age, bool sharedRel,
--- 652,685 ----
      }

      *freezeLimit = limit;
+
+     if (freezeTableLimit != NULL)
+     {
+         int freezetable;
+
+         /*
+          * Determine the table freeze age to use: as specified by the caller,
+          * or vacuum_freeze_table_age, but in any case not more than
+          * autovacuum_freeze_max_age * 0.95, so that if you have e.g nightly
+          * VACUUM schedule, the nightly VACUUM gets a chance to freeze tuples
+          * before anti-wraparound autovacuum is launched.
+          */
+         freezetable = freeze_min_age;
+         if (freezetable < 0)
+             freezetable = vacuum_freeze_table_age;
+         freezetable = Min(freezetable, autovacuum_freeze_max_age * 0.95);
+         Assert(freezetable >= 0);
+
+         /*
+          * Compute the cutoff XID, being careful not to generate a
+          * "permanent" XID.
+          */
+         limit = ReadNewTransactionId() - freezetable;
+         if (!TransactionIdIsNormal(limit))
+             limit = FirstNormalTransactionId;
+
+         *freezeTableLimit = limit;
+     }
  }

***************
*** 1219,1226 **** full_vacuum_rel(Relation onerel, VacuumStmt *vacstmt)
                  i;
      VRelStats  *vacrelstats;

!     vacuum_set_xid_limits(vacstmt->freeze_min_age, onerel->rd_rel->relisshared,
!                           &OldestXmin, &FreezeLimit);

      /*
       * Flush any previous async-commit transactions.  This does not guarantee
--- 1251,1259 ----
                  i;
      VRelStats  *vacrelstats;

!     vacuum_set_xid_limits(vacstmt->freeze_min_age, vacstmt->freeze_table_age,
!                           onerel->rd_rel->relisshared,
!                           &OldestXmin, &FreezeLimit, NULL);

      /*
       * Flush any previous async-commit transactions.  This does not guarantee
*** src/backend/commands/vacuumlazy.c
--- src/backend/commands/vacuumlazy.c
***************
*** 144,149 **** lazy_vacuum_rel(Relation onerel, VacuumStmt *vacstmt,
--- 144,151 ----
      BlockNumber possibly_freeable;
      PGRUsage    ru0;
      TimestampTz starttime = 0;
+     bool        scan_all;
+     TransactionId freezeTableLimit;

      pg_rusage_init(&ru0);

***************
*** 158,165 **** lazy_vacuum_rel(Relation onerel, VacuumStmt *vacstmt,

      vac_strategy = bstrategy;

!     vacuum_set_xid_limits(vacstmt->freeze_min_age, onerel->rd_rel->relisshared,
!                           &OldestXmin, &FreezeLimit);

      vacrelstats = (LVRelStats *) palloc0(sizeof(LVRelStats));

--- 160,170 ----

      vac_strategy = bstrategy;

!     vacuum_set_xid_limits(vacstmt->freeze_min_age, vacstmt->freeze_table_age,
!                           onerel->rd_rel->relisshared,
!                           &OldestXmin, &FreezeLimit, &freezeTableLimit);
!     scan_all = TransactionIdPrecedesOrEquals(onerel->rd_rel->relfrozenxid,
!                                              freezeTableLimit);

      vacrelstats = (LVRelStats *) palloc0(sizeof(LVRelStats));

***************
*** 171,177 **** lazy_vacuum_rel(Relation onerel, VacuumStmt *vacstmt,
      vacrelstats->hasindex = (nindexes > 0);

      /* Do the vacuuming */
!     lazy_scan_heap(onerel, vacrelstats, Irel, nindexes, vacstmt->scan_all);

      /* Done with indexes */
      vac_close_indexes(nindexes, Irel, NoLock);
--- 176,182 ----
      vacrelstats->hasindex = (nindexes > 0);

      /* Do the vacuuming */
!     lazy_scan_heap(onerel, vacrelstats, Irel, nindexes, scan_all);

      /* Done with indexes */
      vac_close_indexes(nindexes, Irel, NoLock);
*** src/backend/nodes/copyfuncs.c
--- src/backend/nodes/copyfuncs.c
***************
*** 2865,2871 **** _copyVacuumStmt(VacuumStmt *from)
      COPY_SCALAR_FIELD(analyze);
      COPY_SCALAR_FIELD(verbose);
      COPY_SCALAR_FIELD(freeze_min_age);
!     COPY_SCALAR_FIELD(scan_all);
      COPY_NODE_FIELD(relation);
      COPY_NODE_FIELD(va_cols);

--- 2865,2871 ----
      COPY_SCALAR_FIELD(analyze);
      COPY_SCALAR_FIELD(verbose);
      COPY_SCALAR_FIELD(freeze_min_age);
!     COPY_SCALAR_FIELD(freeze_table_age);
      COPY_NODE_FIELD(relation);
      COPY_NODE_FIELD(va_cols);

*** src/backend/nodes/equalfuncs.c
--- src/backend/nodes/equalfuncs.c
***************
*** 1454,1460 **** _equalVacuumStmt(VacuumStmt *a, VacuumStmt *b)
      COMPARE_SCALAR_FIELD(analyze);
      COMPARE_SCALAR_FIELD(verbose);
      COMPARE_SCALAR_FIELD(freeze_min_age);
!     COMPARE_SCALAR_FIELD(scan_all);
      COMPARE_NODE_FIELD(relation);
      COMPARE_NODE_FIELD(va_cols);

--- 1454,1460 ----
      COMPARE_SCALAR_FIELD(analyze);
      COMPARE_SCALAR_FIELD(verbose);
      COMPARE_SCALAR_FIELD(freeze_min_age);
!     COMPARE_SCALAR_FIELD(freeze_table_age);
      COMPARE_NODE_FIELD(relation);
      COMPARE_NODE_FIELD(va_cols);

*** src/backend/parser/gram.y
--- src/backend/parser/gram.y
***************
*** 6263,6269 **** VacuumStmt: VACUUM opt_full opt_freeze opt_verbose
                      n->analyze = false;
                      n->full = $2;
                      n->freeze_min_age = $3 ? 0 : -1;
!                     n->scan_all = $2 || $3;
                      n->verbose = $4;
                      n->relation = NULL;
                      n->va_cols = NIL;
--- 6263,6269 ----
                      n->analyze = false;
                      n->full = $2;
                      n->freeze_min_age = $3 ? 0 : -1;
!                     n->freeze_table_age = $3 ? 0 : -1;
                      n->verbose = $4;
                      n->relation = NULL;
                      n->va_cols = NIL;
***************
*** 6276,6282 **** VacuumStmt: VACUUM opt_full opt_freeze opt_verbose
                      n->analyze = false;
                      n->full = $2;
                      n->freeze_min_age = $3 ? 0 : -1;
!                     n->scan_all = $2 || $3;
                      n->verbose = $4;
                      n->relation = $5;
                      n->va_cols = NIL;
--- 6276,6282 ----
                      n->analyze = false;
                      n->full = $2;
                      n->freeze_min_age = $3 ? 0 : -1;
!                     n->freeze_table_age = $3 ? 0 : -1;
                      n->verbose = $4;
                      n->relation = $5;
                      n->va_cols = NIL;
***************
*** 6288,6294 **** VacuumStmt: VACUUM opt_full opt_freeze opt_verbose
                      n->vacuum = true;
                      n->full = $2;
                      n->freeze_min_age = $3 ? 0 : -1;
!                     n->scan_all = $2 || $3;
                      n->verbose |= $4;
                      $$ = (Node *)n;
                  }
--- 6288,6294 ----
                      n->vacuum = true;
                      n->full = $2;
                      n->freeze_min_age = $3 ? 0 : -1;
!                     n->freeze_table_age = $3 ? 0 : -1;
                      n->verbose |= $4;
                      $$ = (Node *)n;
                  }
***************
*** 6302,6307 **** AnalyzeStmt:
--- 6302,6308 ----
                      n->analyze = true;
                      n->full = false;
                      n->freeze_min_age = -1;
+                     n->freeze_table_age = -1;
                      n->verbose = $2;
                      n->relation = NULL;
                      n->va_cols = NIL;
***************
*** 6314,6319 **** AnalyzeStmt:
--- 6315,6321 ----
                      n->analyze = true;
                      n->full = false;
                      n->freeze_min_age = -1;
+                     n->freeze_table_age = -1;
                      n->verbose = $2;
                      n->relation = $3;
                      n->va_cols = $4;
*** src/backend/postmaster/autovacuum.c
--- src/backend/postmaster/autovacuum.c
***************
*** 136,143 **** static volatile sig_atomic_t got_SIGTERM = false;
  /* Comparison point for determining whether freeze_max_age is exceeded */
  static TransactionId recentXid;

! /* Default freeze_min_age to use for autovacuum (varies by database) */
  static int    default_freeze_min_age;

  /* Memory context for long-lived data */
  static MemoryContext AutovacMemCxt;
--- 136,144 ----
  /* Comparison point for determining whether freeze_max_age is exceeded */
  static TransactionId recentXid;

! /* Default freeze ages to use for autovacuum (varies by database) */
  static int    default_freeze_min_age;
+ static int    default_freeze_table_age;

  /* Memory context for long-lived data */
  static MemoryContext AutovacMemCxt;
***************
*** 174,179 **** typedef struct autovac_table
--- 175,181 ----
      bool        at_dovacuum;
      bool        at_doanalyze;
      int            at_freeze_min_age;
+     int            at_freeze_table_age;
      int            at_vacuum_cost_delay;
      int            at_vacuum_cost_limit;
      bool        at_wraparound;
***************
*** 1857,1863 **** do_autovacuum(void)
      pgstat_vacuum_stat();

      /*
!      * Find the pg_database entry and select the default freeze_min_age. We
       * use zero in template and nonconnectable databases, else the system-wide
       * default.
       */
--- 1859,1865 ----
      pgstat_vacuum_stat();

      /*
!      * Find the pg_database entry and select the default freeze ages. We
       * use zero in template and nonconnectable databases, else the system-wide
       * default.
       */
***************
*** 1869,1877 **** do_autovacuum(void)
--- 1871,1885 ----
      dbForm = (Form_pg_database) GETSTRUCT(tuple);

      if (dbForm->datistemplate || !dbForm->datallowconn)
+     {
          default_freeze_min_age = 0;
+         default_freeze_table_age = 0;
+     }
      else
+     {
          default_freeze_min_age = vacuum_freeze_min_age;
+         default_freeze_table_age = vacuum_freeze_table_age;
+     }

      ReleaseSysCache(tuple);

***************
*** 2418,2423 **** table_recheck_autovac(Oid relid, HTAB *table_toast_map)
--- 2426,2432 ----
      if (doanalyze || dovacuum)
      {
          int            freeze_min_age;
+         int            freeze_table_age;
          int            vac_cost_limit;
          int            vac_cost_delay;

***************
*** 2443,2448 **** table_recheck_autovac(Oid relid, HTAB *table_toast_map)
--- 2452,2460 ----

              freeze_min_age = (avForm->freeze_min_age >= 0) ?
                  avForm->freeze_min_age : default_freeze_min_age;
+
+             freeze_table_age = (avForm->freeze_table_age >= 0) ?
+                 avForm->freeze_table_age : default_freeze_table_age;
          }
          else
          {
***************
*** 2453,2458 **** table_recheck_autovac(Oid relid, HTAB *table_toast_map)
--- 2465,2472 ----
                  autovacuum_vac_cost_delay : VacuumCostDelay;

              freeze_min_age = default_freeze_min_age;
+
+             freeze_table_age = default_freeze_table_age;
          }

          tab = palloc(sizeof(autovac_table));
***************
*** 2460,2465 **** table_recheck_autovac(Oid relid, HTAB *table_toast_map)
--- 2474,2480 ----
          tab->at_dovacuum = dovacuum;
          tab->at_doanalyze = doanalyze;
          tab->at_freeze_min_age = freeze_min_age;
+         tab->at_freeze_table_age = freeze_table_age;
          tab->at_vacuum_cost_limit = vac_cost_limit;
          tab->at_vacuum_cost_delay = vac_cost_delay;
          tab->at_wraparound = wraparound;
***************
*** 2649,2655 **** autovacuum_do_vac_analyze(autovac_table *tab,
      vacstmt.full = false;
      vacstmt.analyze = tab->at_doanalyze;
      vacstmt.freeze_min_age = tab->at_freeze_min_age;
!     vacstmt.scan_all = tab->at_wraparound;
      vacstmt.verbose = false;
      vacstmt.relation = NULL;    /* not used since we pass a relid */
      vacstmt.va_cols = NIL;
--- 2664,2670 ----
      vacstmt.full = false;
      vacstmt.analyze = tab->at_doanalyze;
      vacstmt.freeze_min_age = tab->at_freeze_min_age;
!     vacstmt.freeze_table_age = tab->at_freeze_table_age;
      vacstmt.verbose = false;
      vacstmt.relation = NULL;    /* not used since we pass a relid */
      vacstmt.va_cols = NIL;
*** src/backend/utils/misc/guc.c
--- src/backend/utils/misc/guc.c
***************
*** 1544,1550 **** static struct config_int ConfigureNamesInt[] =
              NULL
          },
          &vacuum_freeze_min_age,
!         100000000, 0, 1000000000, NULL, NULL
      },

      {
--- 1544,1559 ----
              NULL
          },
          &vacuum_freeze_min_age,
!         50000000, 0, 1000000000, NULL, NULL
!     },
!
!     {
!         {"vacuum_freeze_table_age", PGC_USERSET, CLIENT_CONN_STATEMENT,
!             gettext_noop("Age at which VACUUM should scan whole table to freeze tuples."),
!             NULL
!         },
!         &vacuum_freeze_table_age,
!         150000000, 0, 2000000000, NULL, NULL
      },

      {
*** src/backend/utils/misc/postgresql.conf.sample
--- src/backend/utils/misc/postgresql.conf.sample
***************
*** 414,419 ****
--- 414,420 ----
  #session_replication_role = 'origin'
  #statement_timeout = 0            # 0 is disabled
  #vacuum_freeze_min_age = 100000000
+ #vacuum_freeze_table_age = 150000000
  #xmlbinary = 'base64'
  #xmloption = 'content'

*** src/include/catalog/catversion.h
--- src/include/catalog/catversion.h
***************
*** 53,58 ****
   */

  /*                            yyyymmddN */
! #define CATALOG_VERSION_NO    200901051

  #endif
--- 53,58 ----
   */

  /*                            yyyymmddN */
! #define CATALOG_VERSION_NO    200901141 /* XXX: update this before committing */

  #endif
*** src/include/catalog/pg_autovacuum.h
--- src/include/catalog/pg_autovacuum.h
***************
*** 34,39 **** CATALOG(pg_autovacuum,1248) BKI_WITHOUT_OIDS
--- 34,40 ----
      int4        vac_cost_limit; /* vacuum cost limit */
      int4        freeze_min_age; /* vacuum min freeze age */
      int4        freeze_max_age; /* max age before forcing vacuum */
+     int4        freeze_table_age; /* age at which vacuum scans whole table */
  } FormData_pg_autovacuum;

  /* ----------------
***************
*** 58,63 **** typedef FormData_pg_autovacuum *Form_pg_autovacuum;
--- 59,65 ----
  #define Anum_pg_autovacuum_vac_cost_limit            8
  #define Anum_pg_autovacuum_freeze_min_age            9
  #define Anum_pg_autovacuum_freeze_max_age            10
+ #define Anum_pg_autovacuum_freeze_table_age            11

  /* There are no preloaded tuples in pg_autovacuum.h */

*** src/include/commands/vacuum.h
--- src/include/commands/vacuum.h
***************
*** 122,127 **** typedef struct VacAttrStats
--- 122,128 ----
  extern PGDLLIMPORT int default_statistics_target;        /* PGDLLIMPORT for
                                                           * PostGIS */
  extern int    vacuum_freeze_min_age;
+ extern int    vacuum_freeze_table_age;

  /* in commands/vacuum.c */
***************
*** 135,143 **** extern void vac_update_relstats(Relation relation,
                      double num_tuples,
                      bool hasindex,
                      TransactionId frozenxid);
! extern void vacuum_set_xid_limits(int freeze_min_age, bool sharedRel,
                        TransactionId *oldestXmin,
!                       TransactionId *freezeLimit);
  extern void vac_update_datfrozenxid(void);
  extern bool vac_is_partial_index(Relation indrel);
  extern void vacuum_delay_point(void);
--- 136,146 ----
                      double num_tuples,
                      bool hasindex,
                      TransactionId frozenxid);
! extern void vacuum_set_xid_limits(int freeze_min_age, int freeze_table_age,
!                       bool sharedRel,
                        TransactionId *oldestXmin,
!                       TransactionId *freezeLimit,
!                       TransactionId *freezeTableLimit);
  extern void vac_update_datfrozenxid(void);
  extern bool vac_is_partial_index(Relation indrel);
  extern void vacuum_delay_point(void);
*** src/include/nodes/parsenodes.h
--- src/include/nodes/parsenodes.h
***************
*** 2155,2162 **** typedef struct VacuumStmt
      bool        full;            /* do FULL (non-concurrent) vacuum */
      bool        analyze;        /* do ANALYZE step */
      bool        verbose;        /* print progress info */
-     bool        scan_all;        /* force scan of all pages */
      int            freeze_min_age; /* min freeze age, or -1 to use default */
      RangeVar   *relation;        /* single table to process, or NULL */
      List       *va_cols;        /* list of column names, or NIL for all */
  } VacuumStmt;
--- 2155,2162 ----
      bool        full;            /* do FULL (non-concurrent) vacuum */
      bool        analyze;        /* do ANALYZE step */
      bool        verbose;        /* print progress info */
      int            freeze_min_age; /* min freeze age, or -1 to use default */
+     int            freeze_table_age; /* age at which to scan whole table */