Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
>> The basic goal of the patch was to make 'S' consistent for all \d
>> backslash commands, and we had a lot of discussion about it, and many
>> people asked for it (I can't find my user functions).
>
> I think this falls in the category of "be careful what you wish for,
> you might get it".  It is now blindingly obvious that the folks asking
> for that had not actually lived with the behavior for any period of
> time.
>
> Personally I think we should just revert the patch and go back to the
> behavior we've had for umpteen years.  However, if you cannot bear to
> leave well enough alone, how about *reversing* the sense --- that is,
> default behavior is to show everything and there is an extra character
> to omit system objects?

(apologies if I didn't read the thread carefully enough to realize what
it was about - it may be that we're talking about a different behavior
than I'm referring to here...)

Are you saying that "\dt" should include all system tables, for example?
I'd find that a very bad thing...

In fact, just to chime in on the opposite side of people here, I think
that having "\df" just return the user defined functions is a *good*
thing, one that I've wanted. Now, if I do "\df pg_something", I'd still
like it to include system ones.. But finding your own user function in
the plain \df list is horrible.

//Magnus