Re: Visibility map and freezing - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: Visibility map and freezing
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> Jeff Davis wrote:
>> On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 13:49 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm now leaning towards:
>>>
>>> autovacuum_freeze_max_age
>>> vacuum_freeze_table_age
>>> vacuum_freeze_min_age
>>>
>>> where autovacuum_freeze_max_age and vacuum_freeze_min_age are unchanged, and
>>> vacuum_freeze_table_age is the new setting that controls when VACUUM or
>>> autovacuum should perform a full scan of the table to advance relfrozenxid.
>>
>> I'm still bothered by the fact that "max" and "min" really mean the same
>> thing here.
>
> Yeah. Those are existing names, though, and I don't recall any complaints from
> users.
>
>> I don't think we can perfectly capture the meaning of these GUCs in the
>> name. I think our goal should be to avoid confusion between them.
>
> Agreed.

I was thinking it would be clearer if the options which control *when*
autovacuum fires off a worker consistently had some action word in them like
"trigger" or "start" or "launch".

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's Slony Replication
support!