Re: per-database locale: createdb switches - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: per-database locale: createdb switches
Date
Re: per-database locale: createdb switches  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>> createdb is really about convenience;  not sure it is warranted for
>>> CREATE DATABASE.
>> I think unless you are doing something completely funny, you would
>> usually want to have COLLATE and CTYPE equal.  The fact that you now
>> have to enter both to get that result could be pretty annoying in
>> practice, I  would think.
>
> I agree but I can't think of many cases where we offer one option which
> controls two other options;  can you?

We have cases like that:

initdb --locale
createdb --locale

It looks to me, however, that there is possible confusion about what
createdb --locale (as well as any possible option to be added to CREATE
DATABASE) really affects:

initdb --locale controls --lc-ctype, --lc-collate, --lc-messages,
--lc-monetary, --lc-numeric, --lc-time.

createdb --locale only controls --lc-ctype and --lc-collate.  The
functionality to have database-specific settings of the other locale
categories already exists, so why shouldn't those be set as well?

Which raises yet another question, why CTYPE and COLLATE have to be
hardcoded settings and catalog columns instead of being stored in
datconfig as database-startup-only settings?