Re: per-database locale: createdb switches - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: per-database locale: createdb switches
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >> I think unless you are doing something completely funny, you would
> >> usually want to have COLLATE and CTYPE equal.  The fact that you now
> >> have to enter both to get that result could be pretty annoying in
> >> practice, I  would think.
> >
> > I agree but I can't think of many cases where we offer one option which
> > controls two other options;  can you?
>
> We have cases like that:
>
> initdb --locale
> createdb --locale
>
> It looks to me, however, that there is possible confusion about what
> createdb --locale (as well as any possible option to be added to CREATE
> DATABASE) really affects:
>
> initdb --locale controls --lc-ctype, --lc-collate, --lc-messages,
> --lc-monetary, --lc-numeric, --lc-time.
>
> createdb --locale only controls --lc-ctype and --lc-collate.  The
> functionality to have database-specific settings of the other locale
> categories already exists, so why shouldn't those be set as well?
>
> Which raises yet another question, why CTYPE and COLLATE have to be
> hardcoded settings and catalog columns instead of being stored in
> datconfig as database-startup-only settings?

I was asking for cases where _SQL_ commands have one parameter that
controls two others, not command-line examples.  Can you think of any?

FYI, I am fine adding the SQL-level option, I was just asking.

http://enterprisedb.com