Re: Proposal: new border setting in psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Proposal: new border setting in psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 12:19:51 -0500 (EST)
> Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > Yep, that is my analysis as well.  If you want a pretty ReST-like
> > output, that can be added later.
>
> Not if you use "border 3" for full ReST.  I see nothing but pushback
> later if you try to make "border 4" give less than "border 3."
>
> Anyway, we have gone around the circle again and are no further ahead.
> As I see it, the original proposal was a logical extension to the border
> settings, it was extremely low impact on the code and some people would
> have found it useful.  Unfortunately I made the tactical error of
> mentioning ReST early on and now it won't be accepted unless it is 100%
> ReST safe which it probably can never be and if it came close it would
> give butt ugly output in cases where it didn't need to.

I don't think it would have been accepted as just a new output format
because few people liked the new display --- they liked it only because
it was like ReST (ah, but then you have to mention ReST).  ;-)

http://enterprisedb.com