Re: Need idea for a web framework for NLS site - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Need idea for a web framework for NLS site
Date
List pgsql-www
damien@dalibo.info wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> * it's easy to install : http://www.dokuwiki.org/install:freebsd
>>> * it's easy to create custom themes : http://www.postgresql.fr
>>> * it's easy to maintain : http://www.linux.com/feature/138888
>>> * the syntax is low-tech : http://www.dokuwiki.org/syntax
>>> * the HTML tables are clean : http://www.dokuwiki.org/syntax#tables
>>>
>>> For http://www.postgresql.fr, we've been using (i.e. "struggling with")
>>>  Drupal for years. We had only two persons who fully understood the
>>> website and were able to maintain and add content.
>>>
>>> Now that we have switched for dokuwiki, more people are involved in
>>> management of the website. The maintenance is just peace of cake (
>>> upgrading, backups and ACL are fast and intuitive tasks ).
>>>
>>> Furthermore, dokuwiki is so easy to hack : you can make or adapt your
>>> own plugins... We have our own plugins for cosmetic and Single Sign-On
>>>
>>> If you want any help with it don't hesitate to ask. We can provide our
>>> PostgreSQL theme and plugins if you want to see how it works.
>> Either I'm missing the point, or a lot of other people are missing the
>> point here.
>>
>> Does dokuwiki have any features for automatically pulling statistics
>> from .po files in a cvs repository? If not, I don't see what the win is.
>> This is *not* supposed to be a website where you edit pages, AFAIK...
>>

> I may be missing the point. I just gave a quick look at the status page
> ( http://pgtranslation.projects.postgresql.org/status.html )
>
> Dokuwiki doesn't have a feature to analyse po files. My point is just
> that it would be easy to write a plugin that fetch a .po file, parse it
> and return some statistic.
>
> For instance, we can imagine a plugin that would count that number of
> msgid lines in a given .po files. This plugin will add a new ky word in
> the standard doku syntax and the line to analyse the german translation
> of the 8.2's initdb page could look like this :
>
> {{po>initdb 8.2 de}}
>
> This would grab the po-8.2-branch/initdb-de.po file and simply return
> the numeric value into the web page.
>
> Apart from this specific job, the other tasks needed to display the page
> can be left to dokuwiki. Things like HTML formating, CSS semantic,
> result caching, versioning, etc. are already provided by doku.
>
> Keeping with my example, let's say we want to create the 8.2 status
> table : http://pgtranslation.projects.postgresql.org/status.html#t8.2-branch
>
> The wiki syntax to generate the table would look like this :
>
> ^ ^ af ^ cs ^ de ^
> |ecpg|{{po>ecpg 8.2 af}}|{{po>ecpg 8.2 cs}}|{{po>ecpg 8.2 de}}|
> |initdb|{{po>initdb 8.2 af}}|{{po>initdb 8.2 cs}}|{{po>initdb 8.2 de}}|
> |libpq|{{po>libpq 8.2 af}}|{{po>libpq 8.2 cs}}|{{po>libpq 8.2 de}}|
>
> and so on...
>
> i'm not saying this is the best way to do it. But it seems to me that
> with dokuwiki, you can concentrate on writing a few lines of php code
> that do the specific treatment you need and don't bother with the HTML

I fail to see how this is a win over a single, well-define, *static
webpage*. If we're having a script to generate it anyway.. All we need
to do is merge peters script for getting statistics with one of the
templating engines we're already using.

> Once again i might be totally out of context. If it's the case, i
> apologize for the noise and i won't bother you with dokuwiki again ;-)

I'm sure you can find more reasons in the future :-)

//Magnus