Re: Need idea for a web framework for NLS site - Mailing list pgsql-www

From damien@dalibo.info
Subject Re: Need idea for a web framework for NLS site
Date
List pgsql-www
Magnus Hagander a écrit :
> damien@dalibo.info wrote:
>> Peter Eisentraut a écrit :
>>> Requirements are roughly:
>>>
>>> * Perfect and flawless table support is essential.  The page
>>> <http://pgtranslation.projects.postgresql.org/status.html> is pretty
>>> much the core of the service, so it must work well.  I currently create
>>> HTML tables using a script and include them, but pretty much every
>>> toolkit has problems in this area.  I am not attached to the HTML
>>> markup, however.
>>>
>>> * Low-tech, standard tools available through FreeBSD ports collection,
>>> or whatever the sysadmins want to deal with.
>>>
>>> * PostgreSQL-themable.
>>>
>>> * Preferrably understandable and maintainable by more than one person.
>>>
>>> Recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>> dokuwiki seems to be a good response to your requirements :
>>
>> * it's easy to install : http://www.dokuwiki.org/install:freebsd
>> * it's easy to create custom themes : http://www.postgresql.fr
>> * it's easy to maintain : http://www.linux.com/feature/138888
>> * the syntax is low-tech : http://www.dokuwiki.org/syntax
>> * the HTML tables are clean : http://www.dokuwiki.org/syntax#tables
>>
>> For http://www.postgresql.fr, we've been using (i.e. "struggling with")
>>  Drupal for years. We had only two persons who fully understood the
>> website and were able to maintain and add content.
>>
>> Now that we have switched for dokuwiki, more people are involved in
>> management of the website. The maintenance is just peace of cake (
>> upgrading, backups and ACL are fast and intuitive tasks ).
>>
>> Furthermore, dokuwiki is so easy to hack : you can make or adapt your
>> own plugins... We have our own plugins for cosmetic and Single Sign-On
>>
>> If you want any help with it don't hesitate to ask. We can provide our
>> PostgreSQL theme and plugins if you want to see how it works.
>
> Either I'm missing the point, or a lot of other people are missing the
> point here.
>
> Does dokuwiki have any features for automatically pulling statistics
> from .po files in a cvs repository? If not, I don't see what the win is.
> This is *not* supposed to be a website where you edit pages, AFAIK...

I may be missing the point. I just gave a quick look at the status page
( http://pgtranslation.projects.postgresql.org/status.html )

Dokuwiki doesn't have a feature to analyse po files. My point is just
that it would be easy to write a plugin that fetch a .po file, parse it
and return some statistic.

For instance, we can imagine a plugin that would count that number of
msgid lines in a given .po files. This plugin will add a new ky word in
the standard doku syntax and the line to analyse the german translation
of the 8.2's initdb page could look like this :

{{po>initdb 8.2 de}}

This would grab the po-8.2-branch/initdb-de.po file and simply return
the numeric value into the web page.

Apart from this specific job, the other tasks needed to display the page
can be left to dokuwiki. Things like HTML formating, CSS semantic,
result caching, versioning, etc. are already provided by doku.

Keeping with my example, let's say we want to create the 8.2 status
table : http://pgtranslation.projects.postgresql.org/status.html#t8.2-branch

The wiki syntax to generate the table would look like this :

^ ^ af ^ cs ^ de ^
|ecpg|{{po>ecpg 8.2 af}}|{{po>ecpg 8.2 cs}}|{{po>ecpg 8.2 de}}|
|initdb|{{po>initdb 8.2 af}}|{{po>initdb 8.2 cs}}|{{po>initdb 8.2 de}}|
|libpq|{{po>libpq 8.2 af}}|{{po>libpq 8.2 cs}}|{{po>libpq 8.2 de}}|

and so on...

i'm not saying this is the best way to do it. But it seems to me that
with dokuwiki, you can concentrate on writing a few lines of php code
that do the specific treatment you need and don't bother with the HTML
ouput.

Once again i might be totally out of context. If it's the case, i
apologize for the noise and i won't bother you with dokuwiki again ;-)

--
damien clochard
http://dalibo.org | http://dalibo.com