Splitting libpq into a separate package - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-yum

From Devrim Gündüz
Subject Splitting libpq into a separate package
Date
List pgsql-pkg-yum
Hi,

I actually tried to avoid $SUBJECT in the past, but I think now we must do it,
per this thread:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAB5R%3D3wq50SB5%3DdVgYD0uu%3DepCvvx4arxiTMbikNcY29q4wHLA%40mail.gmail.com

and:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAAQZgJzg7tGaq6HuTRUP5hqz-jQQQJ-ja9cKJy4Wtob4o8taBg%40mail.gmail.com

As a side note, Fedora already removed postgresql-libs, and added libpq5
recently as well.

So, the questions are:

* Should I do it for v12 only, or go ahead and replace -libs subpackages with
the new libpq package in the existing releases, too? I'm inclined to go with
the latter. The packages will just "Obsolete" the existing -libs subpackages,
provide "postgresqlXY-libs", so should not be a problem.

* Debian folks use libpq5 as the package name. I can stick with that. Any
objections?

FWIW, this will first go into our testing repos (that everyone can access), and
we will do tests before it goes into prod.

Regards,
--
Devrim Gündüz
Open Source Solution Architect, Red Hat Certified Engineer

Attachment