Re: About the parameter of API: PQprepared - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Chernow
Subject Re: About the parameter of API: PQprepared
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 2:45 AM, iihero <iihero@gmail.com> wrote:
>> In libpq, the definition is like:
>> PGresult *
>> PQprepare(PGconn *conn,
>>     const char *stmtName, const char *query,
>>     int nParams, const Oid *paramTypes)
>>
>> Could we remove the parameter "nParams"?
>> e.g. "insert into foo(id, name, address) values ($1, $2, $3)"
>> PostgreSQL possibly can parse the prepared sql statement to get the real
>> paramters count.
>>
>> Or, is there another alternate way?
>
> if you are looking for easier way to do things like prepared
> statements, etc.  over libpq, you may want to look at libpqtypes (it's
> a external library that will require a patched libpq for versions
> <8.4):
>
> http://libpqtypes.esilo.com/
>
> merlin

Sounds like you could make use of libpqtypes, which abstracts you from
the standard parameterized API.

Latest version of libpqtypes is finally online (v1.2a):

http://pgfoundry.org/frs/?group_id=1000370

NOTE: requires using cvs head because libpqtypes needs the new
libpq-events feature.

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC