Re: Do we really want to migrate plproxy and citext into PG core distribution? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Do we really want to migrate plproxy and citext into PG core distribution?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>> Tom Lane wrote:
>>
>>> Well, it won't make it harder to implement collations; but I worry that
>>> people who have been relying on the citext syntax will have a hard time
>>> migrating to collations.  Perhaps if someone did the legwork to
>>> determine exactly what that conversion would look like, it would assuage
>>> the fear.
>>>

>> I kind of assumed we would do it by implementing the COLLATE clause of
>> the CREATE DOMAIN statement.
>>

> But to define such a domain, you'd have to commit to a case-insensitive
> version of a specific collation, no?  citext currently means "case
> insensitive version of whatever the database's default collation is".
> This might be worrying over nothing significant, but I'm not
> convinced...

Well, that's all we've got right now.

Presumably as David says we could leave citext sitting in contrib for
compatibility reasons, once we get more fine-grained collation support.

I guess, too, we can add all sorts of warnings about citext not being
future-proof.

cheers

andrew