Re: Postgres-R: tuple serialization - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Markus Wanner
Subject Re: Postgres-R: tuple serialization
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Decibel! wrote:
> ISTM that both londiste and Slony would be able to make use of these
> improvements as well. A modular replication system should be able to use
> a variety of methods for logging data changes and then applying them on
> a subscriber, so long as some kind of common transport can be agreed
> upon (such as text). So having a change capture and apply mechanism that
> isn't dependent on a lot of extra stuff would be generally useful to any
> replication mechanism.

Hm.. yeah, that's a good hint. However, I'm not sure how londiste and
Slony would interface with these internal methods. That would require
some sort of special replication triggers or something. But when to fire
them? After every statement (sync)? Just before commit (eager)? After
commit (lazy)? (These are the points in Postgres-R, where the internal
methods are called).

I'm claiming that Postgres-R is modular (enough). But I'm unsure what
interface it could provide to the outer world.

Regards

Markus Wanner