Re: Do we really want to migrate plproxy and citext into PG core distribution? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Do we really want to migrate plproxy and citext into PG core distribution?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > Tom, Simon, etc.:
> > Of the several things which "PostgreSQL could learn from MySQL" which we
> > covered at pgCon was that the requirement to hunt hither and yon for
> > popular add-ins is one of the primary reasons for developers not using
> > PostgreSQL.
>
> Agreed, but I think the best response to that is something CPAN-like
> for people to easily get hold of recognized extensions, and next best
> (or also) a "kitchen sink" installer package that agglomerates the core
> and selected outside projects.  There aren't any successful extensible
> projects that ignore their own extensibility and put everything
> interesting into the core project.

It seems to me a better solution is to have appropriate repositories for
distributions that have them than some cpan style thing that is going to
break package dependencies.

apt-get install postgresql-plproxy
portinstall (I think that is the command) postgresql-plproxy

etc...

makes more sense.

Joshua D. Drake