Re: Do we really want to migrate plproxy and citext into PG core distribution? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shane Ambler
Subject Re: Do we really want to migrate plproxy and citext into PG core distribution?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dave Cramer wrote:

> On 21-Jul-08, at 4:28 PM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 01:17:39PM -0700, David E. Wheeler wrote:
>>> pgFoundry ain't the CPAN, alas.
>>
>> Maybe that's the problem that really needs solving?
>>
>> One of the big Postgres features is its extensibility.  I agree
>> that the extensions can sometimes be hard to find, but surely the
>> answer to that is not an infinitely large source tarball?
>>

> I'd have to agree with Andrew here. Making it easy to get extensions
> would solve lots of problems.

What about starting a secondary team that would review extensions?
Projects on pgfoundry could be identified as reviewed and approved as a
type of recommendation that they are of acceptable quality to use in
production - maybe against certain versions.

What I would see is current core developers teaching a new group of
developers to do the add-on code reviews to a point where they could
continue on by themselves - one or two from core may wish to stay in
this group - with core checking in from time to time to ensure the
quality doesn't slip. Thereby giving some confidence in the use of the
add-ons that get *certified*.

A new add-on would be presented to this group and maybe voted on in one
of the lists (General or Admin?) to get acceptance into the review process.

Anyone interested in starting this?

I do agree that the main code doesn't need to contain every feature that
is available. But we do need to improve the perception of add-ons.
Hardly anyone thinks twice about adding an extension to firefox, perl,
gimp or oscommerce or even drivers to the os, and we need to aim for a
similar thought here.

I do think that having a list of reviewed and approved add-ons that is
easily found on the main site along with release downloads will help
along those lines.

We need to promote that postgresql isn't a one-size-fits-all solution,
it is a solid product that can be customised to suite your needs.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz