Re: Overhauling GUCS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Overhauling GUCS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>> Oh, and wal_buffers, the default for which we should just change if it
>> weren't for SHMMAX.
>
> Uh, why?  On a workload of mostly small transactions, what value is
> there in lots of wal_buffers?

None. But there's also little to no harm in having a higher setting; at
worst you waste a few megabytes of memory. Besides, most databases are
initialized from some outside source in the beginning, and data loading
does benefit from a higher wal_buffers setting.

Ideally, of course, there would be no wal_buffers setting, and WAL
buffers would be allocated from shared_buffers pool on demand...