Re: Justifying a PG over MySQL approach to a project - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gauthier, Dave
Subject Re: Justifying a PG over MySQL approach to a project
Date
List pgsql-general
Actually, the DB I'm working on is rather small but has a somewhat complex system of constraints and triggers that
maintainthe data.  Queries will outnumber writes (20x at least).  And the DB has to be mirrorred at a sister site a
couplethousand miles away, so I'm looking for a robust DB replication system for that.

These are the key points they will be worried about...
- DB up time (most important), including recovery time after disasters (e.g. power outages)
- Data integrity.  I'm addressing this with constraints and using triggers to populate columns with derived data.
- Data Quality.  NO CORRUPT TABLES / INDEXES
- Retrofitting existing apps to work with PG.  Perl/DBI is a subtle change in the DBD designation.  Some Tcl-MySQL code
istougher.  I'm proposing changing everything to go through ODBC as a standard now, and for the future.
- Cost of maintainence.  Do I have to babysit this DB 4 hours every day, or does it run by itself?  Is this like Oracle
wherewe have to hire professional 24x7 DBAs, or is this hands-off?  That kind of question.

I have a DB up and working.  Runs great, no problems, but very lightly loaded and/or used at this time.  Having worked
withPG in the past, I'm not worried about this piece.

I am more concerned with getting a robust DB replication system up and running.  Bucardo looks pretty good, but I've
juststarted looking at the options.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!