Re: Justifying a PG over MySQL approach to a project - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz
Subject Re: Justifying a PG over MySQL approach to a project
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 3:55 PM, Gauthier, Dave <dave.gauthier@intel.com> wrote:
> They just called the meeting, or at least that part of it.  There seems to be a battle brewing, some MySQL advocates
areangry, concerned, fearful, ... I dont know why for sure.

in places like that it is inevitable. there's always going to be crowd
that will fear of change. They don't generate reasonable opinions, it
is the fear of change.
It might be hard to fight that, since managers will make the decision
based on reports that they can trust. Scared folks often generate a
lot of feedback. Just like in politics :)

> My managers, who advocate my position and PG are preparing, but the decision will be made by higher-ups who really
don'tknow anything about DBs.  They just talk in terms of risk and cost and  schedules and yes, licenses.  So I'll let
themarticulate the defense of PG on those terms.  I'm just an engineer.  I've been feeding them the valuable input I've
beengetting from this forumn and t hanks to all who have contributed.  Really!

Well, give them the best report ever. Also, skip the crap they won't
understand. Try writing first the stuff they will understand, than
give them reason why they would want to consider it - in their own
language. Skip the engineering stuff. Managers often have a very short
focus span. As soon as it smells like something they don't understand,
they will stop reading it.

--
GJ