Re: Justifying a PG over MySQL approach to a project - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Erik Jones
Subject Re: Justifying a PG over MySQL approach to a project
Date
List pgsql-general
On Dec 16, 2009, at 10:30 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:

> - If you don't care about your data, MySQL used with MyISAM is *crazy* fast for lots of small simple queries.

This one causes me no end of grief as too often it's simply touted as "MyISAM is fast(er)" while leaving of the bit
about"for lots of small, simple queries".  Developers then pick MySQL with MyISAM storage and then scratch their heads
saying,"But!  I heard it was faster...," when I tell them the reason their app is crawling is because they have even
moderatelycomplex reads or writes starving out the rest of their app thanks to the table locks required by MyISAM.  As
youmentioned, for the type of active workloads that MyISAM is good for, you might as well just use memcache over
somethingmore reliable and/or concurrent, or even a simple key-value or document store if you really don't need
transactions.

Erik Jones, Database Administrator
Engine Yard
Support, Scalability, Reliability