Re: Postgres on shared network drive - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Wilson
Subject Re: Postgres on shared network drive
Date
List pgsql-general
Pavan Deolasee wrote:
[...]
> I am not suggesting one read-write and many read-only architecture. I am
> rather suggesting all read-only systems. I would be interested in this
> setup if I run large read-only queries on historical data and need easy
> scalability. With read-only setup, you can easily add another machine to
> increase computing power. Also, we may come up with cache-sharing
> systems so that if a buffer is cached on some other node, that can
> be transfered on a high speed interconnect, rather than reading from a
> relatively slower disk.

You can have infinite scalability of a read-only database simply by copying the
database to each system. If it's historical data it's not "up to the minute". If
you want to periodically update the read-only databases then that's pretty
straightforward - with various options trading speed against ease - depending on
your system requirements.