Re: Postgres on shared network drive - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pavan Deolasee
Subject Re: Postgres on shared network drive
Date
Re: Postgres on shared network drive  (Peter Wilson <petew@yellowhawk.co.uk>)
Re: Postgres on shared network drive  (Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 11:00 PM, Dawid Kuroczko <qnex42@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Not quite workable.  Remember that table data is not always available on
>  the block device -- there are pages modified in the buffer cache (shared
>  memory), and other machines have no access to the other's shared memory
>  (and it would be a lot of work to do it efficiently).  Remember also about the
>  MVCC -- if your "read only copy machine" starts a complicated query on
>  some big_table, and in the meanwhile "read-write machine" decides the
>  big_table's pages can be reused... well your "read-only" machine doesn't
>  even have a way of knowing its returning garbage data. ;-)

I am not suggesting one read-write and many read-only architecture. I am
rather suggesting all read-only systems. I would be interested in this
setup if I run large read-only queries on historical data and need easy
scalability. With read-only setup, you can easily add another machine to
increase computing power. Also, we may come up with cache-sharing
systems so that if a buffer is cached on some other node, that can
be transfered on a high speed interconnect, rather than reading from a
relatively slower disk.

>  Noow, if you really really want a read-only copy of the read write data
>  available over the network, many NAS/SAN devices will allow you to
>  make a snapshot of the database -- and you can use that snapshot as
>  a read-only copy of the database.  But then again, if you want a read-only
>  copy of a days/weeks old database, there are chaper and better ways of
>  doing it.

Yes. I was mostly assuming read-only scalability. What are the other
better ways to do so ?

>  A known implementation of such a set up would be Oracle RAC, where
>  you have a shared storage and N machines using it.

Oracle RAC is a multi-master kind of architecture where each node has
access to the shared storage and can directly read/write data.

Thanks,
Pavan

--
Pavan Deolasee