Re: Debugging Pl/PgSQL functions with the debug contrib module - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Debugging Pl/PgSQL functions with the debug contrib module
Date
List pgsql-general
Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> Richard,
>
> I recall that in earlier versions of the PostgreSQL windows binary
> distribution, I had finer grained control of what modules were
> installed. The only optional module is now PL/Java, which I don't use,
> and things like headers and libraries. I cannot specify installing
> Pl/PgSQL, Pl/Perl etc, or this fabled debugging module for that
> matter.

Hmm - I seem to remember there being a fairly long list of optional
modules. Perhaps your download didn't unpack correctly?

> This isn't the first time I encountered weirdness with the installer.
> I recall that when I went to build libpq about 8 months ago, the
> installer said it installed headers and libraries, which it simply did
> not.

That *is* strange, since presumably on Windows it installs them to a
sub-folder of the main install. Having said that, I'd say we see more
reports of problems with installation on Windows than all other
platforms put together. Partly the poor built-in packaging systems and
partly the more complex permissions model I suspect.

> Having gone through the 8.3.1 MSI installer meticulously, it is
> abundantly clear that this module is unavailable. I uninstalled the
> last version, 8.3.0, and installed 8.3.1 today. I recall that in the
> 8.3.0 installer, I could specify that I wanted the module, and I did,
> but it didn't work, just as the 8.3.1 installer didn't work as
> described in my original e-mail.That being the case, how should I
> proceed?

Well, I've just switched into my Windows VM on my laptop here, and I
appear to be running pgAdmin 1.8.2 and PostgreSQL 8.3.1, Visual C++
build 1400. It's got 20-odd pldbg_xxx functions installed in my test
database and I get the option to debug a plpgsql function if I
right-click it. So - at least on XP under vmware it works.

The log the installer produced mentions "dbg" and "debug" api .dlls
being setup along with adminpack.

I've got pgadmin installed and the adminpack.

Otherwise, I don't remember doing anything special. What I would do is:
1. Backup and databases
2. Uninstall PG and pgadmin
3. Download a fresh install and check it's good
4. Install from scratch

Make sure you keep the logfile the installer generates, that way we can
test what's in there.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd