Re: --enable-thread-safety bug - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Clark
Subject Re: --enable-thread-safety bug
Date
Re: --enable-thread-safety bug  (Michael Meskes <meskes@postgresql.org>)
List pgsql-general
Michael Meskes wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 12:51:30PM -0400, Steve Clark wrote:
>
>>My program had no threads - as I pointed out if I change the default
>>Makefile in the FreeBSD ports
>>system to not enable thread safety my programs runs just fine for days
>>on end. It appears to me
>>without any kind of close examination that there is a memory leak in the
>>ecpg library when enable
>>thread safety is turned on.
>

> There are just a few variables covered by ENABLE_THREAD_SAFETY. I wonder
> how the program manages to spend so much time allocating memory to eat
> all of it. Could you give us some more info about your source code? Do
> you use descriptors? Auto allocating?
>
> Michael

Hi Michael,

Not exactly sure what you are asking about - descriptors and auto
allocating.

The program processes about 800000 packets a day, which can update
several tables.
It runs continously reading udp packets from systems at remote
locations coming in over the internet.

It has a global
exec sql include sqlca;

then a number of functions that get called with each function having
it own

xxx( args,... )
{
EXEC SQL BEGIN DECLARE SECTION;
a bunch of variable
EXEC SQL END DECLARE SECTION;

with various EXEC SQL inserts, updates and selects.
with checks of sqlca.sqlcode to determine if the sql statement succeeded.

}

Steve