Re: --enable-thread-safety bug - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Meskes
Subject Re: --enable-thread-safety bug
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 04:58:28PM -0400, Steve Clark wrote:
> Not exactly sure what you are asking about - descriptors and auto
> allocating.

So I guess you don't use either feature. :-)

> The program processes about 800000 packets a day, which can update
> several tables.
> It runs continously reading udp packets from systems at remote locations
> coming in over the internet.

But the code for processing all thoss statements is the same, with and
without threading enabled.

One code that differs is allocation of sqlca, but given that this
structure has a mere 215 bytes (about). Even if it was allocated 800000
times it would make up for a memory loss of about 164MB. Which brings up
the question how long the application runs until it segfaults.

As Tom already pointed out, without more information there simply is no
way for us to find out what's going on. We are more than willing to dig
into it, but we need more to be able to.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Go VfL Borussia! Go SF 49ers! Use Debian GNU/Linux! Use PostgreSQL!