Re: Fwd: pgsql configuration - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Fwd: pgsql configuration
Date
List pgsql-general
Pau Marc Munoz Torres wrote:
> Hi
>
>  today I had a problem with postgresql.conf file, i remove it from my local
> home, any of you know if there is some security copy  of it somewhere or if
> there is some how to recover it? the guy who did the configuration is not
> working at my office any more and i don't know is he changed some directory
> form default configuration

If you do not know where your data directory is, search for the file
PG_VERSION . Your main data directory will be the directory containing
that file. On most UNIXes the following command (run as root) should
find it, but might take a long time to run:

find / -type f -name PG_VERSION

Back the directory containing the PG_VERSION file up to another computer
or to removable storage (like a CD or DVD-ROM).

Now, use a default postgresql.conf from your version of postgresql
(download a copy if you don't have the file) and try starting the
database server with the data directory set to the directory containing
PG_VERSION.

You MUST use the same version of postgresql as shown in the contents of
the PG_VERSION file ( run "cat /path/to/PG_VERSION" on UNIX to see the
contents ). It sounds like you already have the server, just not the
config file, so you should be OK with just using a default config file.

See how you go.

If you still have problems, please reply and mention crucial details like:

- Your PostgreSQL version

- Your operating system and version (eg "Fedore Core 6" or "Solaris 10")

- Where your PostgreSQL came from, if you know. In particular, if it
came as part of the operating system or was installed separately. If you
do not know, mention where the `psql' executable is. On many systems
"type psql" or "which psql" will tell you this.

- Whether or not you know where your data directory is

- How you normally start and stop postgresql

--
Craig Ringer