Re: base backup client as auxiliary backend process - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: base backup client as auxiliary backend process
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2019-11-07 05:16, Michael Paquier wrote:
>>> The current defaults of pg_basebackup have been thought so as the
>>> backups taken have a good stability and so as monitoring is eased
>>> thanks to --wal-method=stream and the use of replication slots.
>>> Shouldn't the use of a least a temporary replication slot be mandatory
>>> for the stability of the copy?  It seems to me that there is a good
>>> argument for having a second process which streams WAL on top of the
>>> main backup process, and just use a WAL receiver for that.
>> Is this something that the walreceiver should be doing independent of this
>> patch?
> There could be an argument for switching a WAL receiver to use a
> temporary replication slot by default.  Still, it seems to me that
> this backup solution suffers from the same set of problems we have
> spent years to fix with pg_basebackup with missing WAL files caused by
> concurrent checkpoints removing things needed while the copy of the
> main data folder and other tablespaces happens.

I looked into this.  It seems trivial to make walsender create and use a
temporary replication slot by default if no permanent replication slot
is specified.  This is basically the logic that pg_basebackup has but
done server-side.  See attached patch for a demonstration.  Any reason
not to do that?

Attachment