Re: proposal: minscale, rtrim, btrim functions for numeric - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: proposal: minscale, rtrim, btrim functions for numeric
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> four years ago Marko Tiikkaja send a patch for numeric_trim functions. This
> functions removed ending zeroes from numeric value. This is useful feature,
> but there was not any progress on this patch. I think so this feature can
> be interesting, so I would to revitalize this patch.

> Original discussion
> https://www.postgresql-archive.org/Add-numeric-trim-numeric-td5874444.html

A more useful link is
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/564D3ADB.7000808%40joh.to
and the earlier discussion is at
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/5643125E.1030605%40joh.to

Re-reading that thread, I don't really think there's much support for
anything beyond the minscale() function.  The rest are just inviting
confusion with string-related functions.  And I really don't like
establishing a precedent that btrim() and rtrim() are the same.