Re: PGparam timestamp question - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Chernow
Subject Re: PGparam timestamp question
Date
Re: PGparam timestamp question  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: PGparam timestamp question  (Michael Meskes <meskes@postgresql.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
Okay, thanks.  So using WITHOUT TIME ZONE basically means, store the provided
value as UTC.  Meaning, 8AM EST NOW() is stored/treated as 8AM UTC.

That explains why my libpq code was getting 3AM for "without time zone" values.  I am using code from
src/interfaces/ecpg/pgtypeslib/timestamp.c

timestamp2tm().  That uses localtime() after converting the timestamp to an
epoch value.  I changed this code so that it calls gmtime() for TIMESTAMPOID and
localtime() for TIMESTAMPTZOID.  Now it works perfectly :)

Need to figure out how to handle times outside of the system time_t range.

Thanks again,
Andrew