Re: [DOCS] Re: Uniform policy for author credits in contrib module documentation? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: [DOCS] Re: Uniform policy for author credits in contrib module documentation?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thursday 06 December 2007 03:54, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 10:46:51PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> > >As of CVS HEAD, some of the contrib module documentation pages have
> > >extensive credit screeds, eg
> > >http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/cube.html
> > >and some just have the author's name, with or without an <email> link,
> > >and some don't have anything at all.
> > >
> > >I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other, except that I think
> > >we should have a uniform policy for all the contrib modules.
> >
> > Well once we push directly into the core documentation I agree that
> > outside of release notes (although you just brought that up in another
> > thread) we don't need to be mentioning contributions like that. Those
> > who have contributed are in the logs.
> >
> > Further those who have provided reasonable contribution really should be
> > mentioned on the contributors page that is up for discussion which would
> > make the rest of this moot yes?
>
> +1, since they are listed in the release notes when the contrib modules are
> added - just like any other piece of code. IMO no reason to treat contrib
> differently from any other code in this case.

Hmm, I have often seen that the person listed in the contrib docs was
considered the person to contact if you had questions/comments/patches/etc...
about a specific contrib module.  I wonder if people would still get the same
level of help if those names are removed and they have to go to the regular
mailing lists for help (which contrib authors may not follow).

--
Robert Treat